20th June 2018
About The Society
Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society is dedicated to the study and dissemination of the archaeology, historic environment, history and heritage of Staffordshire although our membership activities range further afield.
Membership is open to all who share this interest. The Society offers its members a programme of lectures, visits and events; access to the ‘Members Area’ of our website and receipt of Society Newsletters and of our Transactions, the County’s principal archaeological and historical journal.
The Society enjoys close links with other regional Societies and groups and we welcome visitors to our lecture meetings.
Past and Present
The Society was founded in 1957 and adopted its present name and objectives in 1995. We have a particularly close association with the Roman site at Wall, but the Society has been involved with a wide range of projects since it was established, among them documentary building research and parish survey.
The Society is affiliated to the ‘Council for British Archaeology’, the ‘Staffordshire Heritage Group’ and the ‘Friends of the Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archives’, and is represented as necessary on various working groups and committees. We have also contributed our support to various projects, among them the purchase of the Staffordshire Anglo-Saxon Hoard and the digitization of Staffordshire’s tithe maps.
We are a thriving and expanding Society that retains its interest in undertaking project work when opportunities arise and are pleased to take a particular interest in the activities of the ‘Young Archaeologists’ Club’ in our area.